Sunday, June 22, 2014

Monster Girls and Nurse Hitomi's Monster Infirmary

Monster girls; they're girls who happen to be monsters or could also be oni,yurei or yokai as well. The best way to explain them is that they're just a little different than others.

While I am not surprised that the Japanese had started liking these sorts of girls, I am more surprised that the international audience seems to love them just as much. While I saw the phenomenon unveil with my eyes over threads on the internet and anons talking I really wasn't interested in it, but I did end up buying "A Centaur's Life" for a friend as a gift last holiday season. When I saw the cover I couldn't help but think the centaur was adorable and so were her friends on the cover.
A Centaur's Life vol. 1 cover from Seven Seas
Now I really didn't read it since it was a gift but my friend said that it was a great present and she wanted more of it. Her favorite part was that it was just about the everyday life of a girl who just happened to be a centaur. Which I do honestly think it's something interesting to think about, life from another point of view.

As time went on I started to watch the threads again in /a/ and saw that someone posted something very interesting, a school nurse who just happened to be a cyclops. I thought Hitomi-sensei was a cute and short story, a monster girl tugging at my own heart strings with her adorable big eye; but it wasn't just her looks but her caring personality and her own insecurities that made me love her as a character. Not much of it was translated if I recall correctly just a handful of chapters.

But then, on June 16 Seven Seas Entertainment released more information on their 2015 releases.
Nurse Hitomi's Monster Infirmary cover from Seven Seas
It's Hitomi-sensei!

I honestly have no idea if it is just Seven Seas just keeping up on the growing love of these monster girls or if they pay attention to certain threads on the internet. But, you know I really like Hitomi and am glad that she's getting a more general release to the international audience.

I am one of those people who tend to be more picky about what I buy when it comes to manga and books and want stuff that I would pick up and read over and over. I don't need any more manga underneath my bed that will never get read again after I finished. I know I will be preordering the manga once we get a release date out for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment