Monday, July 28, 2014

Samurai Jam:Bakumatsu Rock- Feelings so far

Well I may be one of the few... But I really like this show. Overall for me it's a breath of fresh air in what seems like a huge stagnation of forced drama in a whole bunch of shojou/josei shows. Honestly I've read a lot of peoples reviews about the first episode and everything talking about how corny it is and bad animation.

Sometimes it's good to have a little fun, yeah I know premise doesn't sound all that promising when it boils down to...

Japan wants to control the people by using a song called "Heaven's Song" and quickly outlaw musical instruments and Rock n Roll.

Now here's the thing, it's originally a PSP rhythm game, now the plot doesn't sound so out of place. A rhythm game for girls dealing with guys who rock out against the system, that sounds like a totally viable idea.

As much as I seem to enjoy this there are a few things that make me frown. First off is the weird use of 3D in the musical performance scenes. You can see it episode 1 when they Ryouma first sings Rolling Thunder and again when the main three play against Hijikata and Okita with all of them singing Intersect.

Rolling Thunder is actually a really fun song and you get to hear Ryouma sing, while I hear a few friends of mine say he sings funny I rather enjoy his accent.
While I do enjoy the main three and their designs I have to say that so far, I hate the Shinsengumi designs as a whole and I'll show you why.
 First of Hijikata just... He looks like an old man, but they gave him a deep voice so it works at first. But then you hear him sing... And then it just seems, so off and weird. Also the Shinsengumi uniforms are very western (how backwards) and look like they come from Nazi Germany. But Hijikata isn't my main problem.
It's Okita that I have a beef with. He looks like a Visual-Kei ripoff of Gakupoid. Also got to love that his special skill is winking and he likes taking baths. Now I usually like Okita whenever he's in things, but this is one incarnation of Okita I really can't seem to deal with.

Even in Intersect I loved listening the rock side more than the Shinsengumi side, but it is all down to preference.

Overall I am enjoying this, and I hope that others will give it a try. Even if it is for something that is a little bit different.

No comments:

Post a Comment